Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Just Do It!

When we received the book, I happened to be between books on my reading list, so I read it right away. I have read so many books about discipline and "difficult" children that I was not exactly enthused with the subject. My educational background includes a master's degree in LD/BD (I know no longer the terms, but a rose is a rose is a .....) and I taught in a behavior unit for 12 years, so I've had a lot of experience with many different programs. I do like the way the author describes and explains the A,B,C plans and I recognize how I have slipped into each as a parent and a teacher. I do like the way the book combined steps for implementation with the stories of how different staff, children, and parents struggled through the program.
I have always believd that children do better in an environment where they help set the rules and consequences. Jane Nelson wrote a book called Positive Discipline. I used it as a text book in one of the courses I taught at Xavier. I used it not only at school, but also at home with my three boys. I still like the organization of her program.
It a nutshell, I guess i can see how "difficult" children could be helped with this program, but do admit that I still see parts of it as "giving in" and have a problem with lowering expectations. Maybe people on this blog will convince me otherwise.
One other note, I always look at the author and wonder about anyone who writes a book about how to deal with children and doesn't have children of his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment